Friday, June 29, 2012

Spiderwoman

I used to be majorly into comics. Mainly Marvel because the characters seem more gritty but also because they have some dedicated writers who I love. My favorite books always involved Wolverine, Spiderwoman or Deadpool. Primarily the latter two.

You can imagine the level of excitement that the announcement of Deadpool being in the last Wolverine movie brought out in me. This mental state reached squealing, brainless heights as the opening scenes started rolling in the theater. However, when the movie finally showed Deadpool, I was horrorstruck at the portrayal. Wade Wilson's character earlier in the movie was spot on with my image of Deadpool. I suppose the creator's forgot the quintessential "merc with a moutth," persona when they sewed Deadpool's mouth shut. I'm not sure how they'll rectify that when the Deadpool spin-off movie is released. I'm still looking forward to it.

Now, I love Brian Michael Bendis and I LOVE how he's raised Spiderwoman up to the same level as the other Avengers. I own the volume that documents her origin and if they were to make a Spiderwoman movie, they'd pretty much have to follow that backstory. It's rumored, in the basest sense of the word, that there will be a Spiderwoman movie. It's also rumored that Vanessa Hudgens of High School Musical fame would star as my favorite heroine:
I personally find her face annoying and her acting is exactly what you would expect of a Disney star. However, she has been breaking into more adult and gritty roles such as Blondie in Suckerpunch. I feel, though, that her portayal in that movie was stiff and forced and that she's not likely to become more badass anytime soon.

Casting for this role should avoid conventional dark-haired badasses like Angelina Jolie, Kate Beckinsale and Milla Jovovich, all of whom carry long histories of tough female characters that would take away from this heroine. Really, they should find some actress not in the public's persona but given that most people aren't familiar with the character, there are some other suggestions:

1. Ellen Page:
Now, hear me out. I'm not talking adorable baby face Juno star. Ellen Page has shown she can play more adult roles. Given Spiderwoman's difficult past, I'm thinking Ellen Page as the older version of her role in Hard Candy.  I watched that movie for the second time the other day and still got chills. If she channelled that mentality into Spiderwoman, it would be a film to remember.

2. Natalie Portman:

She's a phenomenal actress and has been playing badasses since she was thirteen (disregarding Padme). Think, "Leon the Professional, V for Vendetta and Closer," Natalie. Also, this:

3. Zooey Deschanel:


This is definitely an out there pick purely because I love Zooey Deschanel. We know she can play a bitch but that's not really what I'm going for. She'd be good for Spiderwoman when she was innocent and naive but I would to see her playing a cool, awesome chick without the usual Zooey quirk.














No comments:

Post a Comment