Monday, June 18, 2012

An Analogy

Today, I stumbled upon the perfect analogy for the role religion plays in government and just progress as a society in general. Now keep in mind that I'm not even near a militant atheist, more like a slightly more sceptical agnostic who believes freedom of religion is absolutely essential, as is separation of church and state.

So, I was on the gruelling journey home from my hometown. I'm trying to speed without getting pulled over because I just want to be there already. I run into some road construction where the left lane (this also adds to the analogy as we were in the "religious right," lane)  has been closed off. It's okay because for about two miles I'm following someone who was also trying to speed within the limitations of the construction speed limit. Suddenly, a massive, generic, red SUV pulls in off of an on-ramp. The driver in front of me courteously allows the SUV in and then, I assume, immediately regrets this decision. The SUV has chosen that 55 mph is just not safe enough for the one lane traffic when there is no actual road work occurring. They brake to between 40 and 45 mph, causing the car in front of me and myself to have to travel around 35 mph just to keep from hitting the car in front of us. The SUV decided it need also sporadically brake, causing my car to take a hit in the wear and tear department.

I mentioned to the Little Englishman my thoughts on how this SUV represented the lack of progress in government due to the constant foot dragging of the religious constituents and those they elect when the construction zone ended and the car in front of me and I were able to speed around the terrorizing SUV. It was then I saw a Jesus fish with a cross for an eye. Obviously the mentality of elected officials and their constituents crossover into all aspects of life, including driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment