Sunday, June 24, 2012

Same old mindset that I couldn't give a fuck about


Recently I've been enlightened that some of what I considered dubstep was brostep and therefore I should alter my description. Now, I've researched quite a bit and have found no definitive answer what the difference is between the two. Even on a long forum music thread, there were contradictions and arguments as to which was which. In the end, I'm as much in the dark as I was previously only more pissed off.

It all boils down to this weird mindset we as humans have that tells us the new is bad and old is better. It's what tells indie kids that Modest Mouse sold out for having one popular song on the radio despite older songs having been widely popular before that. They weren't on the radio, though, so clearly they'd sold out. It's the thin difference between oldfags and newfags on 4chan. No one admits to being a newfag despite it being statistically improbable that every OP that triforces being there from anywhere from the beginning.

It's a mindset that I've obviously participated in previously. I used to attempt to be a hipster indie bitch. I also used to judge people who became fans of Nine Inch Nails post-With-Teeth. I still do because NIN was at their best before that but I digress. This mentality slows us and hinders us from achieving true greatness.

All I want to hear from dubstep is filthy, dirty, heavy, metallic, engrossing, enveloping, sick computer sexual noises with disc drives flying every where from the intensity. I want only the drops because I have no patience and so called "old dubstep," is long, meandering housey bullshit.  My friend told me that brostep was repetitive and had random lyrics thrown in. I see no difference. So fuck it.

By the way, what's this then? THAT'S NOT EVEN LOW FREQUENCY, OSCILLATORS, ungh... blah, blah, blah


3 comments:

  1. I think I must have sounded more authoratative than I intended. I only meant to help you find what you are looking for because the internet "hipster" community calls it brostep. I don't have much of an opinion of the division between brostep or dubstep myself and was parroting some other guy who conveyed the history to me. I tried to find the source but here are some links to the community I frequent:

    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/i8kos/i_am_32_years_old_and_what_is_dubstep/c21s3x3

    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/o2zmd/reddit_i_dont_quite_understand_the_concept_of/c3dy58i

    http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/i8kos/i_am_32_years_old_and_what_is_dubstep/c21syxc

    It seems as though it's not that dubstep changed but became inclusive as a genre of any electronic music with a drop and loud bass. I guess it has come down to an argument of semantics.

    In any case, I would go so far as to say that what is "good music" is largely arbitrary, and this hate for massive production or the commercialization of a particular genre is more about the unwashed masses being able to participate in a previously exclusive culture with little investment. Some people base their entire identity around the culture of a particular art and feel their identity threatened when their input becomes ineffectual. I don't know if I would characterize them as being arrogant or contrarian, but perhaps naive to think that ideas are static.

    Also, anyone who criticizes a particular genre of electronica as "repetitive" is either meaning relatively so or is an idiot. It's friggin' dance music, of course it's repetitive :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you know how I said I was only listening to Die Antwoord, Girl Talk and dubstep lately? Well, DJ Hi-Tek from Die Antwoord seems to have channelled exactly what I wanted to hear for the new Die Antwoord album. I was wondering what your thoughts were on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdWzAsGHh98

      Delete